A Hurried Look At The Area
Known As Bupp’s Union
Rudolph Yount (or Yunt) obtained a warrant for 25 acres adjoining his other land and John Pifer in Shrewsbury township on September 23, 1762. He obtained a second warrant for 100 acres in the same township on May 2, 1770. The next month 126 acres were surveyed to him. The survey stated that the land had been improved for 16 years.
William L. Gould, in his history of the Codorus Church of the Brethren (1976), entitled A Light in the Valley, includes a lengthy sketch of Rudolph Yount, submitted by a descendant. A native of Canton Basel, Switzerland, Yount (1728-1808) arrived in Philadelphia in September 1749, with his widowed mother. Later, he was baptized in the Church of the Brethren, married, and according to the 1770 survey was in Shrewsbury (now Springfield) township in 1754.
- Category: Bupp's Union
- Hits: 4395